Fragrances have been in use for thousands of years because they enhance our experiences. For many people, the fragrance is what makes the product. Others prefer their products fragrance-free. No matter what your preference, you’ll find we make beauty and baby care products that are right for you.
When we create a fragrance, you can be sure that – at a minimum – it complies with the highest safety standards established by the International Fragrance Association (IFRA).* IFRA is the world’s leading authority on the safe use of fragrances by consumers and within the environment.
Our Position on Fragrances
While fragrance formulations are considered proprietary, we want you to know some of the ingredients that we don’t put in our fragrances. We go beyond IFRA standards by restricting or eliminating ingredients where there are legitimate emerging questions, even though the science is far from settled. For example, we do not use any of the following in new baby or adult products, and are phasing them out altogether, with priority given to baby products:
- Animal-derived ingredients
- Nitromusks and polycyclic musks
- Rose crystal
- DEP (already eliminated in our baby care products)
In some countries today, there is an ongoing debate about how to find the right balance between keeping fragrance formulas proprietary and giving people who use them the assurance that they are safe. We believe there are ways to do both, and we are committed to working with regulators, officials, and other stakeholders to find solutions.
- “Understanding the Role of Fragrance in Personal Care Products: A Historical View and Approach to Safety”. GS (2010) Johnson & Johnson Global Summit Meeting
* No endorsement, approval, association, or sponsorship of Our Safety & Care Commitment by the organization listed is stated or implied.